- To be stuffed: full.
- let talk turkey: talk directly.
- go cold turkey: give up bad habit
- bestow: give something as a gift. Ex: The surgeon bestowed eyesight to my children.
- convention: the way behaving that is considered acceptable by society.
- intolerance: when people are not accepting other people's lifestyle.
- turn somebody off: when sth disgusts or bother sb.
- tomstone : a large stone placed at a person's grave and inscribed with a statement
- hug : put hands around someone and hold them.
- fat cat (slang.): negative phrase to describe someone with financial and political power.
- abhorrent: detestable, loathsome. Ex: The abhorrent behavior of the man caused him arrested.
1. Banal.(adj): common and unoriginal. Ex: The plot of the movie was very interesting at the beginning but it turned out to be banal after about 20 minutes into the story.
2. cadence.(n): rhythmic flow of words or sounds. Ex: The Vietnamese language has a lovely cadence
3. Vehement (adj): being intensive in someone's conviction or decision about something. Ex: My brother and his wife are vehement about adopting a child from Iraq.
4. Luminary (n): a famous person who has achieved great successes in a certain field. Ex: As an ambassador to France, my father usually attends parties hosted by French luminaries in politics.
5. Voracious (adj): wanting to eat or consume large amounts of food or things. Ex: My father is a voracious reader of trashy novel.
6. argumentative (adj): always arguing with people: "He won't accept what you say - he's argumentative and loves to disagree!"
7. arrogant (adj): thinking you are better than anyone else: "He always behaves as if nobody else's opinion is important - "I find him very arrogant."
8. assertive (adj): being confident, so people can't force you to do things you don't want to do: "It's important to be assertive at work."
9. bad-tempered (adj): in a bad mood: "What's got into him lately? He's so bad-tempered."
10. big-headed (adj): thinking you're very important or clever: "I've never met anyone so big-headed!"
1. abjure.(v): renounce upon oath(=a commitment to tell the true). renounce = give up. Tuyên bố bỏ
2. abhor.(v): hate, detest.
3. abet.(v) : assist in doing sth usually wrong; encourage. Xúi bậy, tiếp tay làm bậy
4. ablution.(n): washing or cleaning of the body…
5. abbreviate.(v): shorten.
6. abate(v): subside, moderate. Làm dịu đi
7. fantasm(v): imagine
8. abase (v): lower, degrade, humiliate, make humble. làm hạ phẩm giá.
9. abash(v): To make ashamed or uneasy; disconcert.
10. aberrant(adj): Deviating from the proper or expected course. Lầm lạc
1. Zest: outer skin of an orange used for giving a special taste to food; spice; interest; flavor; spirited enjoyment; Ex. add a certain zest to the affair; Ex. zest for life
2. Zephyr: west wind, a gentle breeze.
3. Zenith: point directly overhead in the sky; summit; acme; highest point
4. zealot: someone who is zealous; fanatic(người cuồng tín); person who show excessive zeal(nhiệt huyết, hăng hái).
5. zany: A ludicrous(buồn cười lố bịch), buffoonish(buồn cười) character in old comedies who attempts feebly to mimic the tricks of the clown.
6. yore: time long past.
7. yokel: a rustic, country bumpkin.
8. yoke: join together; unite; N: crossbar used to joining two draft animals
9. yield: amount produced; crop; income on investment; profit obtained from an investment; V: produce; give in; surrender
10. yeoman: man or farmer owning small estate; middle-class farmer.
1. yen : strong desire, longging, urge
2. logging: act of cutting down.
3. xenophobia: A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.
4. wry: twisted, with a humorous twist (vẻ mặt nhăn nhó biểu hiện sự ghê tởm, hài hước…)
5. wrongheaded: stubbornly wrong (ương ngạnh).
6. writhe: twist in coils, contort(nhăn nhó, quằn quại) in pain
7. writ: Law A written order issued by a court, commanding the party to whom it is addressed to perform or cease performing a specified act.
8. wrinkle: small ridge on a smooth surface(face or cloth).
9. wring: twist (to extract liquid); extract by twisting; wrench painfully (necks or hands)
10. wretch: miserable people, bad or despicable(ti tiện, hèn hạ)
11. wrest: obtain by pulling violently; pull away; take by violence; Ex. wrest victory from their grasp
12. wreak: inflict, wreak one's vengeance on. (sự báo thù)
1. wrath: anger, fury(điên tiết, thịnh nộ).
2. wrangle: quarrel noisily; obtain through arguing ; heard cattle
3. worldly: relating to, or devoted to temporal world, engrossed in matters of this earth; not spiritual; of the material world.
4. wont: habit or custom, habitual procedure; "it was their habit to dine at 7 every evening"
5. woeful: sad, deplorable(tồi tệ), deplorably bad, affected by or full of woe(nỗi đau lớn), great sorrow, affliction, suffering, deep inconsolable grief.
6. wizened: shriveled, withered (héo hon, héo khô, khô xác, nhăn nheo)
7. wizardry: sorcery(ma thuật), the practice of wizard, magic.
8. witticism: witty saying, wisecrack(lời nói lém lỉnh): nhận xét hóm hỉnh
9. witless: idiotic, lacking intelligence,or wit; foolish, stupid.
10. withstand: resist successfully, stand up against;
1. withhold: refuse to give, hold back, refrain from sth(cố nén, nhịn không làm việc j);
2. wither: to lose freshness, dry up, shrivel from or as if from loss of moisture.
3. withdrawn: retiring, remote, introverted: kín đáo, thu mình, sống nội tâm.
4. yearning: khao khát, mong mỏi
5. wistful: full of wishful yearning; pensively sad, melancholy (because of desires or memories)
6. wispy: thin, slight; barely discernible
7. wisp: small bunch (of hair)
8. winsome: charming, often childlike way or naive.
9. winnow: sift, separate the chaff from grain by blowing or by means of current air.
10. windfall: sudden, unexpected piece of good fortune or personal gain
1. turn up one's nose at sth: To regard something with disdain or scorn(khing bỉ).
2. mortification: xấu hổ, tủi nhục
3. proximity: trạng thái gần gũi, họ hàng
4. prob: trưởng giả học làm sang
5. headlong (rush) into sth: đâm đầu vào cái j đấy
6. emulate: compete with successfully.
7. propaganda, propagandistic: truyền thông, mang tính truyền thông
8. sophistication: ngụy biện
9. populous: đông dân.
10. curse: the expression of a wish that misfortune, evil, doom, etc., befall a person, group, etc.
11. conquest: the act or state of conquering or the state of being conquered; vanquishment
13. outpost: a station established at a distance from the main body of an army to protect it from surprise attack: We keep only a small garrison of men at our desert outposts
1. wince: move back suddenly; shrink back(lùi lại); flinch(do dự, ngần ngại); Ex. She winced as she touched the cold body.
2. wily: crafty, cunning, artful
3. wilt: loose freshness, droop(ủ rũ, chán nản, gục xuống).
4. willowy: flexible; pliant; slender; CF. willow (liễu yếu, đào tơ) .
5. willful: wilful; intentional; headstrong
6. wiggle: wriggle; move from side to side with irregular twisting motions (lắc lư, ngọ nguậy)
7. whorl: ring of leaves around stem; ring; circular arrangement; Ex. whorls on the fingers
8. wholesome: conducive to mental or physical health; healthful
9. whittle: pare(đẽo, gọt);cut away thin bits (from wood); fashion in this way; reduce gradually; trim
10. whit: small amount; smallest speck; Ex. not a whit of (không tý nào, tuyệt đối không)
1. prophecy: A prediction of the future, made under divine inspiration.
2. crunch: To chew with a noisy crackling sound
3. coincide: trùng khớp.